Property owners, entrepreneurs, community members, academics and city builders will gather at York University in celebration of Toronto’s newest zone: the Residential Apartment Commercial (RAC) (www.raczone.ca). Moderated by Graeme Stewart, Principal of ERA and the Centre for Urban Growth and Renewal, this event hosted by the City of Toronto will centre discussions on the zone’s implementation as well as its economic and social opportunities.
Topics will touch on:
- Where does the zone apply?
- What new things can be done there?
- Why is this a great idea?
- How does RAC zoning make it easier to implement sensible changes?
- Who can benefit from these changes?
And Panelists will include:
- Jennifer Keesmaat, Executive Director and Chief Planner City Planning, City of Toronto
- Jason Thorne, General Manager Planning and Economic Development, City of Hamilton
- Dr. Eileen de Villa, Medical O icer of Health, City of Toronto
- Doug Saunders, Author and Journalist
- Maurine Campbell, Coordinator, 2667/2677 Kipling Avenue Tenant Association
- Gobal Mailwaganam, Managing Director, Municipal Affairs & Housing and Operations CAPREIT
The RAC Zone was initiated through a long term collaboration between a group of partners including the Centre for Urban Growth and Renewal, United Way Toronto & York Region, Toronto Public Health and the tower Renewal Office at the City of Toronto. Approval of the RAC zone ushers in a new era for communities within Toronto to emerge as a more healthy, resilient and vibrant places.
For more coverage on the RAC Zone, check out:
Illustrations by Daniel Rotsztain